SportsLock for iOS
Draft your favorite players and win big!
SportsLock allowed you to play with your friends for money in a bracket format (similar to March Madness). The brackets were designed to handle from 2 all the way up to 1024 players. Each player is pitted against a single player for each round of the bracket (a 1024 bracket would have 10 rounds). The winner of a round then moves on to the following round until a single player is crowned victor.
- Win a round by drafting a team in a real-time synchronous draft against a rival in the bracket
- The players drafted will score fantasy points during the actual sporting event
- The team of the player who scores the most points wins the round, and possibly the bracket!
Sports available were NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, NCAA basketball, and NCAA baseball brackets.
I lead a team of 5 developers to launch SportsLock 1.0 in March of 2015. We iterated on the app with agile methodology to keep an approximate 2 week update schedule, with new features, redesigned flows, and bug fixes. I developed the Objective-C web socket engine to talk to SignalR on the server for the synchronous drafting experience.
Less than 5 months later, we launched 2.0 – with completely overhauled branding for the 2015 fantasy football season. I worked with the outsourced design team to develop a pixel perfect experience. The app was refactored in 3 months. SportsLock 2.0 added a more cohesive visual design to the product and simplified flows for sports fans to get into the action quickly.
SportsLock 2.0 followed the poker format, where game lobbies were created to see players in the same bracket (and talk smack).
I utilized my design background to influence user experience and UI, and professed the need for good design and solid messaging through every interaction with the user (emails, website, app, etc).
- AFNetworking with RESTful APIs
- Close collaboration with backend API devs
- Web Sockets with SocketRocket and SignalR
- Mixed Swift with Objective-C
- Auto Layout
- Support iPhone 6 screen sizes
- Push Notifications
- FMDB for quick database access
- PaintCode icon and view drawing
- MixPanel, Tune, Branch.io analytics integration
- PayPal integration
- Debugging from Crashlytics reports
- Storyboard merge conflict hero
- 1Password and Layer chat engine integration
- git & GitHub with feature-based pull requests
- JIRA for bug tracking
- Team Size: Managed up to 5 developers